Sunday, February 28, 2010

Scaffolding

I realized this week that I have really learned a lot in the first half of our class especially with new technologies and programs. In the first week I found out how to upload any picture and find it anywhere in my computer. Then I discovered a program called Windows Movie Maker. A program which has existed on my computer for approximately three years, but I have never bothered to learn how to use. To be honest I did not really even know it was there. I began to experiment and play with the program which is very user friendly and which I was able to learn how to use fairly quickly. Every subsequent week I have learned to add more to my module projects. Last module project I learned to overlap titles and effects. I also learned how to add appropriate music. This week I have successfully added narration to my movie. Every week I am able to use those tools that I have learned in the previous week to enhance my projects. I myself am a student building on prior knowledge and skills. It dawned on me that this is exactly what I plan for my students every day. Just like I learned how to upload pictures before creating movies with sound, educators teach in terms of building blocks. Using building blocks of knowledge to ensure lifelong understanding is also known as scaffolding. Scaffolding is a technique that educators use often, but it is perhaps not discussed as much amongst colleagues as it should. It is truly the foundation of any overall unit. Teachers must keep the primary goal in mind then create lessons that build to that final skill. In my opinion educators should have more opportunities to discuss and develop curriculum that depends on this concept of scaffolding. I see too often a disconnect between individual lessons. Even in my own teaching I have to remind myself why I am teaching each lesson and how does it connect with the other skills or knowledge I am trying to teach. Our current education system depends on this notion of scaffolding. Students begin to learn the fundamentals early on in elementary school. They start to learn social skills as well. Through the years we expect our students to build on their understanding of basic concepts and strive for them to achieve critical thinking skills. We also strive for the ultimate goal of creating independent students with the motivation for lifelong learning. So I must continue to remind myself that students need to have a solid foundation before starting a new topic. This is yet another reason for consistent assessments and good rapport with students.

No comments:

Post a Comment