Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Second Chances and Classroom Environment

This week I had the opportunity to review my Module 3 submission for the architecture and interior design study. I realized that the sound quality was not great. I was able to hear it fine on my program. The sound was faint but I thought it would translate to the facebook site alright. I realized that the sound was not loud enough for people to actually hear so I decided to play around with it. I was determined to use music with narration because I tried just the narration and I liked the combination with the music much better. I tried the narration on Windows Movie Maker but with the microphone on my computer it just was not a great quality. I also learned that with this program I could only use narration or music not both. So I had two challenges this week to improve the sound quality and find a way to include narration and music in my movie. I began with the sound quality by borrowing two different microphones from friends. I figured out which one worked best with the program and practiced using it so there was as little feedback as possible. Then I began to search for a program that would allow me to mix both music and words in one program. I discovered a program called Mixed Pad Audio Mixer. This program let me upload songs and record my voice so that they were in one track. I then practiced my narration and picked the best track for the final product. The process forced me to also review my narration in terms of word choice. I really thought about the terms nature and design in terms of a compelling experience. I realized that most of the previous narration was associated more with the design elements and not so much with my actual experience in the two stores. I kept most of the original words and added more of my feelings and experience to them. I tried to consider other senses as well because I was relying mainly on visual examples. I added a bit about smells and touch and overall feel for the store. I believe that this second chance allowed me to look more objectively at my work. I had originally submitted my movie thinking that I had done my best work, but upon review I found many things that could be improved upon. This whole process reminded me about some very important aspects of teaching. Firstly, I was reminded that teachers also have the opportunity to improve on their own teaching. This is especially true of teachers who are in the same grade for more than one year because they can learn from what they had done in the previous year. I have stated it before but I want to reiterate my belief in self assessment in terms of teaching. Teachers should be aware of what strengths they have and what weakness they still need to work on. The more we improve ourselves, the more we help our students to achieve. This is also why professional development is so important for educators. Secondly, as I found myself frustrated with the technology and my voice in the narration, I knew exactly how it feels for students to get frustrated. I can explain to my students with experience and knowledge behind me that giving up is never a good idea because you can always learn something from every experience. I could also say to them how proud they would also feel when they accomplish what they set out to do in the first place. These are both excellent life lessons that I learned and can pass on to my students. I am always looking for real life examples so that I can share with students in hopes that they will understand the lesson. Lastly, I learned that second chances are possible and eye opening. I was thankful that I was able to review my work because I was able to continue developing my idea of the nature and design of a compelling experience. I should remember that students and lessons also deserve a second chance. Every day brings new beginnings and fresh starts so if a student had a bad day or a lesson went badly I now that I can begin again the next day.

In reviewing my module 3 project, I was also reminded of the obvious connection between architecture and interior design and teaching which is classroom environment. I neglected to think about classroom environment in examining interior design last week. Sarah Susanka explains how a house is turned into a home with certain techniques such as framing, ceiling heights, accent colors, and open spaces. Just like the interior of a home can be thought of in terms of space, light, and order so can a classroom. In a classroom there are many things that can be done to make it more inviting. For example when the classroom is designed in such a way that is open yet has very organized and specific areas, it feels more comfortable and can be more functional. Students learn routines in well organized areas. Labeling is also a great way for students to acclimate to a new learning environment while also learning new vocabulary at the same time. Book corners, carpet areas, and mailboxes might just be some of the designated areas in a classroom. Another way to make the classroom more exciting and inviting is to use the idea of height and space by hanging student work from the ceilings. By doing this the room feels more proportional and students are proud to see their work on display. Classrooms can also be enhanced by adding simple touches from home to make them feel more like a family atmosphere. Things like lamps bring in a soft artificial light where in many classrooms extra light is needed. Other trinkets like flowers, bean bag chairs, or stuffed animals might make the space feel more comfortable as well. Students could bring items to class to make them feel more at ease because it is important that students feel comfortable to make risks. I cannot emphasize how important the classroom environment is and I continue to think about it especially after having studied interior design. I now have many ideas and ways to explain why these ideas work because of the same concepts applied to interior design like light, order, and space; although I feel that in a classroom order is most important to keep the structure and flow of the day in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment