Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Flexibility and Relevance


To come up with my final compelling photo I took the lessons that I had learned last week and combined them with lessons that I learned from this week. I learned two very specific aspects of photography this week; photographers must be flexible and adaptable and a photo must make a connection with people. My initial idea for a compelling photo is shown at the left. I was not happy with any of these pictures so I decided to explore other subjects. I think you need to be flexible in order to get a compelling shot. When one angle or idea did not work, then I needed to be able to change that concept to allow a better shot to come along. The same is very true of teaching. Educators should be flexible not only to allow changes in the daily schedule, but be flexible in the structure of their lessons. Teachers typically have a concept of what their students know and how they are progressing, but when a child/class is progressing in a different way; then the plans will have to be adapted to accommodate the child/class. Some children may surprise me and progress quicker than expected and I need to be able to adapt my lesson plans to meet their needs. Often times students need extra practice will the skill that has been taught. I believe that good teachers keep accurate assessments and monitor their students’ progress. This idea in combination with the idea of flexibility makes student progress happen and progress is at the heart of teaching.
I came across another link or imaginary bridge between my experience with photography and teaching. The more photos I took the more I began to understand the complexity and difficulty of creating a compelling photo. It reminded my firstly that a meaningful lesson requires thought and perhaps more time. Secondly, I realized that the photos that were most compelling for me showed at least some level of intimacy. While reading Nancy Hill’s article Five Elements of a Great Photograph, I really took her advice to heart. She stated that a great photo must tell a story and say something about life. I really began to use the lens to tell a story instead of just shooting blindly. I also wanted to say something about life in my photo and as I stated on my facebook page, I felt like my final photo was the essence of a library. I was able to capture a photo of a book going into the hands of people. This photo was meaningful to me not only because it reminded me of all my fond memories of the library, but also because it represents something that I am passionate about. The feel the picture also symbolizes learning and literacy both of which I feel strongly about. I realized that when I am planning a lesson, it is crucial that I make the material meaningful to the students by making it more relevant. I may need to make the lessons more intimate, meaning that I get creative and start to form the lessons around students’ interests and strengths. My teaching will be better when I invest more time and research in the planning and am more flexible with assessments. This first module has challenged my confidence and technical savvy, but overall I have been reminded of very important lessons that educators should always keep in mind; have patience and self confidence, be flexible and adaptable, and make learning relevant for students.

No comments:

Post a Comment